Preventing deflation is central task, ECB's Nowotny says
- Wall Street falls with financials, other post-election gainers
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- Obama shortens sentence of Manning, who gave secrets to WikiLeaks
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/17: (SHLO) Higher; (GIMO) (AFAM) (CSX) Lower (more...)
President of the Austrian National Bank and European Central Bank Governing Council member Ewald Nowotny attends a news conference in Vienna, Austria June 6, 2016. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
ALPBACH, Austria (Reuters) - The main monetary task of a central bank in the current environment is to prevent deflation and the European Central Bank has succeeded in doing that, ECB Governing Council member Ewald Nowotny said on Thursday.
"In monetary policy, the prevention of deflation is the central task in the current constellation. That has been a success," Nowotny said in a speech at an economic conference in the Alpine resort of Alpbach.
(Reporting by Francois Murphy and Kirsti Knolle, editing by Larry King)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Explosion kills dozens in Malian military camp: witness
- Two killed in clashes over land for power station in eastern India
- South Korea's Netmarble seeks M&As, U.S. expansion: founder