Preventing deflation is central task, ECB's Nowotny says
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
President of the Austrian National Bank and European Central Bank Governing Council member Ewald Nowotny attends a news conference in Vienna, Austria June 6, 2016. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
ALPBACH, Austria (Reuters) - The main monetary task of a central bank in the current environment is to prevent deflation and the European Central Bank has succeeded in doing that, ECB Governing Council member Ewald Nowotny said on Thursday.
"In monetary policy, the prevention of deflation is the central task in the current constellation. That has been a success," Nowotny said in a speech at an economic conference in the Alpine resort of Alpbach.
(Reporting by Francois Murphy and Kirsti Knolle, editing by Larry King)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Palestinian President Abbas gets boost in Fatah congress vote
- Accused Charleston gunman asks judge to reinstate defense team
- China newspapers say call with Taiwan's Tsai shows Trump's inexperience
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesEuropean Central Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!