Pound slump exacerbates Brexit impact for German exporters: DIHK
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
New cars of several brands of German carmaker Volkswagen AG are covered with protective covers before they are loaded for export on a transport ship at the harbour of the Volkswagen plant in Emden, Germany, April 24, 2009. REUTERS/Christian Charisius/
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
BERLIN (Reuters) - Britons' vote to leave the European Union is already affecting German exports to Britain and a drop in sterling, which hit a 31-year low on Friday, is making things worse, Germany's DIHK Chambers of Industry and Commerce has said.
"Brexit is already weighing on the German economy," DIHK managing director Martin Wansleben told German daily Welt after the chambers of commerce surveyed 5,600 German firms.
"Faced with the decline of the British pound, German products in the (United) Kingdom will be much more expensive, and our export growth to the UK will also fall below zero this year," Wansleben added.
The DIHK survey also showed German businesses were losing their appetite to invest in Britain. Wansleben said that until there was clarity on how Brexit would unfold, Britain would be "unattractive as a place for foreign businesses to invest."
In July, the DIHK said it saw a 1 percent drop in exports to the United Kingdom in 2016, down from a previous forecast of a 5 percent rise.
(Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Canada is not the focus of Trump team's trade worries: envoy
- SEC probing Yahoo over previously disclosed cyber breach: filing
- United flights delayed after computer glitch grounds U.S. planes
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!