Phelps wins 21st gold in freestyle relay
- Oil steady around $50 on doubts over OPEC output cuts
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- Universal Health (UHS) Disputes and Denies Conclusions in BuzzFeed Article
- Perrigo (PRGO) to Restructure BCH Omega Pharma Belgium Business; Will Terminate EuroGenerics Agreement
2016 Rio Olympics - Swimming - Final - Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final - Olympic Aquatics Stadium - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 09/08/2016. Team USA (USA) celebrates as they win. REUTERS/David Gray
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
By Mark Trevelyan
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Michael Phelps claimed his second gold medal in one night and the 21st of his career as the United States won the men's 4x200 meters Olympic freestyle relay on Tuesday.
The most successful Olympian of all time swam the final leg to extend his career tally to a total of 25 medals, also including two silver and two bronze.
Earlier he had won gold number 20 with victory in the 200m butterfly.
It was the fourth successive U.S. Olympic victory in the event.
The Americans led throughout, with Conor Dwyer handing over to Townley Haas and Ryan Lochte. There was a huge roar from the Rio crowd when Phelps sprang from the block with a lead of 1.76 seconds over Japan, and 2.88 seconds over Britain.
The Americans touched home in 7 minutes 00.66 seconds.
For Britain, who had qualified first for the final, James Guy overhauled Takeshi Matsuda on the final leg to take the silver in 7:03.13, with Japan clocking 7:03.50.
It was Britain's first medal in this event since they won a bronze in 1984, and made up for Guy's disappointment in failing to pick up a medal in the 200m and 400m freestyle.
But the night belonged to the Americans and Phelps, who after four days of competition in Rio has won three gold medals at his fifth Olympic Games.
(Reporting by Mark Trevelyan. Editing by Patrick Johnston)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tigris lioness: Iraqi militiawoman fights for revenge against Islamic State
- Yazidi leader seeks protection for community after genocide
- Trump could privatize nation's air traffic controllers
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!