Pandora launches new radio service 'Pandora Plus'
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Traders work at the kiosk where Pandora internet radio is traded on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, in this June 15, 2011 file photo. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/Files
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Online radio service Pandora Media Inc launched "Pandora Plus", its new subscription service, on Thursday as it looks to gain market share amid stiff competition from Apple Inc, Spotify and Amazon.com Inc.
The new service, which will replace the existing "Pandora One" service, will allow users to listen to music offline.
"Pandora Plus", also priced at $4.99 per month, will be available in the coming months on iOS and Android smartphones, the company said on Thursday.
Apple Music and Spotify offer music streaming plans starting at a monthly subscription fee of $9.99.
Pandora, which had 78.1 million active users as of June, has acted more like a radio station that plays songs matching a genre without allowing users to make selections.
"Pandora Plus" also does not have this feature. The company, however, plans to launch an on-demand streaming service later this year.
Existing "Pandora One" users will be upgraded to the new service, the company said.
As part of its efforts to beef up its music collection, the company signed direct licensing deals with a number of music labels on Tuesday, including heavyweights Sony Music and Universal Music Group.
(Reporting by Rishika Sadam in Bengaluru; Editing by Saumyadeb Chakrabarty)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Russia's Putin ready to meet Trump, preparations may take months: TASS
- 'It's made in Vietnam!' At inauguration, origin of red Trump hats shocks many
- Puerto Rico governor cites 'sharp contrast' with island's overseers
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!