Nordstrom to hire fewer temporary employees for holiday season
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
People walk past the Nordstrom Rack store, in New York's Union Square, May 21, 2010. REUTERS/Chip East/File Photo
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
(Reuters) - Department store operator Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN) said it would hire about 11,400 temporary employees for the holiday shopping season, about 3 percent fewer than last year.
The company said about 9,500 temporary employees will be hired in sales and stock positions at its 123 Nordstrom stores in the United States and Canada and 213 Nordstrom Rack stores in the United States.
Another 1,900 will be hired to support Nordstrom's stores and ecommerce business through its fulfillment and distribution centers, the company said.
Nordstrom, like other U.S. retailers, is waging a tough battle for customers with online retailers, which offer a more convenient shopping experience and also offer products at lower prices.
U.S. retailers are keeping sales expectations and inventories low ahead of the holidays to avoid repeating last year's holiday quarter, when warm weather hit sales and left many goods unsold.
Macy's Inc (NYSE: M) said last month that it would hire 83,000 temporary workers for the holiday period, 2 percent lower than last year, while Target Corp (NYSE: TGT) kept its hiring plans unchanged for the fourth straight year.
(Reporting by Jessica Kuruthukulangara in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Funeral of major graft probe judge killed in plane crash
- Afghanistan's Abdullah welcomes Trump commitment to troops
- Asian media decry isolationist Trump, fear economic, diplomatic turmoil
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!