New York bomb squad clears suspicious package in Times Square
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
By Laila Kearney
NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York's bomb squad responded to a suspicious piece of luggage abandoned on a sidewalk in the Times Square neighborhood on Wednesday that was later determined to be harmless, police said.
Police blocked off a stretch of the tourist destination as investigators worked to determine the contents and owner of the luggage left outside a McDonald's restaurant, a police spokesman said.
After more than an hour of investigating, police said they discovered the rolling suitcase was empty.
Last Saturday, a pressure-cooker bomb exploded in Manhattan, injuring 31 people. Additional bombs were found in a second location in the city and in Elizabeth, New Jersey shortly after the explosion.
Police have charged 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Afghanistan, for the explosion.
(Reporting by Laila Kearney; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Grant McCool)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- General Motors to announce $1 billion in U.S. investment
- Springsteen tribute band pulls out of Trump inauguration bash
- Top German court to rule on far-right NPD ban
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!