Mozambique death toll rises to 73 after fuel truck explodes: government
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
MAPUTO (Reuters) - At least 73 people were killed and scores injured in Mozambique on Thursday as they tried to siphon fuel from an overturned truck which exploded, the government said.
The truck was transporting fuel to Malawi from the port city of Beira and was near the border when the accident occurred, the government said in a statement.
The injured had been taken to hospital and a government team was due to travel to the area in Tete province, some 2,000 km (1,242 miles) from the capital Maputo on Friday.
Mozambique is one of the world's poorest countries and struggles constantly with food shortages caused by drought.
(Reporting by Manuel Mucari; Writing by Stella Mapenzauswa; Editing by Louise Ireland)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Senior Canada military officer suspended from duty, no reason given
- Baidu names former Microsoft exec as COO in artificial intelligence push
- Elite North Korean defector says more diplomats waiting to defect to Seoul: Yonhap
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!