More attacks foiled on French Riviera since Nice carnage: prosecutor
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Members of the Paris VTT brigade of the DPP (Direction of the prevention and the protection) patrol along the banks of the Seine during the opening day of the Paris Plages beach festival in Paris, France, six days after a truck driver killed 84 people whe
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
NICE, France (Reuters) - Planned attacks on sporting events, schools and religious sites on the French Riviera have been foiled since the killings of 86 people on Nice's seaside promenade in July, the city's prosecutor has said.
"Several cases have been passed on to the anti-terrorism prosecutor in Paris. It was about religious sites, during certain celebrations, sporting events, stadiums, schools," Prosecutor Jean-Michel Pretre told France 3 television, according to excerpts from a documentary program published on its website on Tuesday in advance of broadcast.
These cases concern "people who started to articulate things that are rather precise about a type of target or even a specific target", the prosecutor is quoted as saying.
The documentary is to be broadcast on Wednesday.
France is on high alert after a string of militant attacks over the last two years.
A Tunisian man was able to drive a 19-tonne truck along a packed Nice promenade, mowing down people in the Bastille Day crowd on July 14, before he was shot dead by police.
Emergency rule has been in place since attacks on Paris in November last year in which Islamist militants killed 130 people.
Another 17 people were killed in January 2015 in attacks that began with the shooting of journalists working for Charlie Hebdo, a satirical weekly that had published cartoons mocking Islam.
(Reporting by Matthias Galante; writing by Michel Rose; editing by Andrew Roche)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Second wind for stocks as earnings turn positive
- Puerto Rico oversight board wants lawsuits to remain frozen
- Victim of ex-Subway pitchman drops charges in Indiana suit
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!