Man with chainsaw kills woman, hurts another in shopping mall in Belarus
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
MINSK (Reuters) - A young man armed with a chainsaw and a hammer entered a shopping center in Minsk, the capital of Belarus, and killed a woman and wounded another on Saturday evening, a spokesman for city police said.
Such violence is rare in Belarus, which President Alexander Lukashenko has ruled with an iron fist since 1994, and it was not immediately clear what the attacker's motive was.
"When he took out a chainsaw, shoppers first thought it was some kind of game," Alexander Lastovsky, the police spokesman, told Reuters. He said the chainsaw and the hammer had been hidden in a guitar case which the man was carrying.
"Then he cut one woman badly with the chainsaw and hit her with a hammer. She died. He also attacked others."
At least one wounded woman was rushed to hospital, he said. The assailant was detained after one or two minutes, he said.
(Reporting by Andrei Makhovsky; Writing by Dmitry Solovyov; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Mexico cenbank flags potential risks to growth from U.S. policy
- Brexit is opportunity to pull Europe closer together: EU official
- U.S. governors want say on Trump's infrastructure plan
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!