MTN discussed share sale of Nigerian unit with local regulator: SEC
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
The logo of MTN telecommunication company is seen printed on a umbrella at a call point along a road in Lagos November 16, 2015. REUTERS/Akintunde Akinleye
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
LAGOS (Reuters) - South Africa's telecom group MTN
SEC director general, Mounir Gwarzo, said MTN had discussed the possibility of issuing various classes of shares to targeted investor groups. He said the telecom firm was looking at three different classes, which would be new in Nigeria.
Gwarzo said the commission was willing to support the share sale as long as it was within local laws and advised the telecom firm to ensure retail investors were protected.
MTN is the largest mobile phone operator in Nigeria with 57 million subscribers, and the country accounts for about a third of its revenue.
Africa's biggest mobile phone operator MTN Group has said it aims to listing its Nigerian unit during 2017, subject to market conditions, part of an agreement with the Nigerian government.
In June the telecom firm said it would list its local unit on the Nigerian Stock Exchange after agreeing to pay a reduced fine of $1.7 billion in a settlement with the Nigerian government over unregistered SIM cards.
Gwarzo said the company was yet to submit a formal application for the share sale, he told Reuters.
MTN Nigeria has appointed Stanbic IBTC Capital, Standard Bank of South Africa and Standard Advisory London, and Citigroup Global Markets, as joint transaction advisors and global coordinators, with Stanbic acting as lead issuer.
(Reporting by Chijioke Ohuocha, editing by Louise Heavens)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Sees Q4 Revenue of $1.04B, Comps Down 4.8%
- Williams (WMB), Williams Partners (WPZ) Reset Payouts as Part of Financial Repositioning
- Arcadia Biosciences (RKDA) COO to Depart
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesCiti, IPO
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!