Lufthansa CEO says no Italy investment plans, focusing on Air Berlin deal
- Oil steadies on doubts output cut will end global glut
- Western Digital (WDC) Raises Q2 Outlook
- Dollar edges up vs yen as traders eye ECB meeting for cues
- Mondelez Int'l (MDLZ) Seen as Kraft Heinz's (KHC) Next Logical Takeover Target - Credit Suisse
- Foxconn says in preliminary discussions to expand U.S. operations
Lufthansa's chief executive Carsten Spohr speaks during Air China-Lufthansa Group Route joint venture signing ceremony and press conference in Beijing, China, September 20, 2016. REUTERS/Jason Lee
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
PARIS (Reuters) - Lufthansa
Etihad is a major shareholder in both Air Berlin and Alitalia and there have been reports in the Italian press that Lufthansa and Alitalia were in talks over an investment.
Lufthansa Chief Executive Carsten Spohr said Lufthansa had its hands full with a deal to lease around 40 planes and crew from Air Berlin, worth around 1 billion euros ($1.1 billion).
"We have agreed that we focus on the Air Berlin issue due to its magnitude and operational complexity," Spohr told analysts on Wednesday, saying it was seeking safeguards from Etihad to ensure Lufthansa did not take on any financial risk to do with loss-making Air Berlin.
"That is enough. I personally have a house in Italy, that's as much investment as we need in Italy right now," he added.
($1 = 0.9024 euros)
(Reporting by Victoria Bryan; Editing by Tina Bellon)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Time magazine names U.S. President-elect Trump person of the year
- China premier says steady growth this year to lay good foundation for 2017
- Plane with some 47 people on board crashes in north Pakistan
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!