Leader of Sunni militant organization in Iran killed: Intelligence Minister
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BEIRUT (Reuters) - The leader of a Sunni militant group in southeast Iran responsible for attacks against security forces and civilian targets has been killed, Iran's intelligence minister Mahmoud Alavi was quoted as saying on Thursday by state media.
Hesham Azizi, also known as Abu Hafs al Baloushi, was the head of the Ansar al Furqan militant organization, according to the SITE intelligence group.
Iran's restive Sistan and Baluchestan province, in the southeast of the country on the borders with Pakistan and Afghanistan, is home to the Balouch minority and has long been a hotbed of Sunni militant activity against the Shi’ite-dominated government of the Islamic Republic.
The province, one of Iran's most impoverished, is also part of a well-known drug trafficking route.
Baloushi organized 12-member teams to carry out attacks across the country in exchange for payment of $500,000, Alavi said, according to the Iranian Students' News Agency. A number of other members of the teams have been arrested.
Alavi did not provide any information about the circumstances of Baloushi's death.
Ansar al Furqan is a splinter group of Jundallah, a militant group that also carried out several attacks in the province, according to the Mashregh news site which is close to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.
Abdolmalek Rigi, the head of Jundallah, was captured and executed by Iranian authorities in 2010.
(Reporting by Babak Dehghanpisheh; Editing by Dominic Evans)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Funeral of major graft probe judge killed in plane crash
- More survivors in Italian avalanche hotel as death toll rises to five
- Romanian nightclub fire sends dozens to hospitals
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!