Knock, knock! Google Duo video call is here
- Indexes hit record highs as Trump rally continues
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- Lower for longer, ECB scales back asset buys
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Oil rises above $50 on renewed hopes for output cuts
Erik Kay, engineering director at Google, introduces Allo and Duo on stage during the Google I/O 2016 developers conference in Mountain View, California May 18, 2016. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - Now, all you need is a phone number to start a video call with any contact who uses an Android- or iOS-based smartphone.
Google on Tuesday launched Google Duo, pitting it directly against Apple Inc's (NASDAQ: AAPL) FaceTime, which allows video calls only between Apple devices.
Duo comes with a unique feature called "knock knock", which lets a person to see live video of a caller before answering. (http://bit.ly/2bv08Un)
Google said video calls would work even on slower networks by "gracefully" reducing the resolution to keep the call going smoothly.
"For video calls on the go, Duo will switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data automatically without dropping your call," Justin Uberti, principal software engineer, wrote in a blog post.
Google, owned by Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ: GOOGL), said the app would be live worldwide in the next few days.
(Reporting by Supantha Mukherjee in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AT&T touts Time Warner merger at U.S. Senate hearing
- ICC to discuss South Africa's failure to arrest Sudan's Bashir
- Actress Sofia Vergara faces lawsuit from her own frozen embryos
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!