Knock, knock! Google Duo video call is here
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Erik Kay, engineering director at Google, introduces Allo and Duo on stage during the Google I/O 2016 developers conference in Mountain View, California May 18, 2016. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - Now, all you need is a phone number to start a video call with any contact who uses an Android- or iOS-based smartphone.
Google on Tuesday launched Google Duo, pitting it directly against Apple Inc's (NASDAQ: AAPL) FaceTime, which allows video calls only between Apple devices.
Duo comes with a unique feature called "knock knock", which lets a person to see live video of a caller before answering. (http://bit.ly/2bv08Un)
Google said video calls would work even on slower networks by "gracefully" reducing the resolution to keep the call going smoothly.
"For video calls on the go, Duo will switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data automatically without dropping your call," Justin Uberti, principal software engineer, wrote in a blog post.
Google, owned by Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ: GOOGL), said the app would be live worldwide in the next few days.
(Reporting by Supantha Mukherjee in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Pacific Crest Resumes Facebook (FB) at Overweight
- Chief of Taiwan's Foxconn says rise of protectionism unavoidable
- Trump inauguration draws nearly 31 million U.S. television viewers
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!