Knife-wielding attacker wounds seven children in China
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
BEIJING (Reuters) - A knife-wielding man on Friday wounded seven children and two bystanders outside a primary school in northwestern China, state media said, in the latest mass knifing attack.
Violent crime is rare in China compared with many other countries, but there has been a series of knife and ax attacks in recent years, many targeting children.
The suspect in Friday's incident, Lei Mingyue, 58, attacked the students in the city of Hanzhong in Shaanxi province, and injured two passersby while trying to escape, China Central Television (CCTV) said on its official microblog.
Lei, who was taken into custody and previously had been punished for theft crimes, was seeking "revenge on society", CCTV said, citing police. It was unclear about his motives.
Photographs posted by CCTV showed children being carried and rolled on a gurney to an ambulance. It said all the victims had been taken to a hospital for treatment and the incident was being investigated.
(Reporting by Michael Martina; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Euro inches up, hovers near 3-week high as focus shifts to ECB
- John Glenn, former U.S. astronaut, hospitalized
- U.N. chief to appoint New Zealand lawmaker as South Sudan envoy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!