Kerry discusses renewed bombing in Aleppo with Russia
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
US Secretary of State John Kerry in Marrakech, Morocco, on November 16, 2016. REUTERS/Mark RALSTON/POOL
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
LIMA (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday he discussed Ukraine and "all aspects" of Aleppo including renewed bombing in the Syrian city this week in a meeting with Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
Speaking to reporters after their one-on-one talk during the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Peru, Lavrov denied that Russia's military was carrying out airstrikes in rebel-held Aleppo this week.
"Our air force and the Syrian airforce only work in the provinces of Idlib and Homs to prevent the ISIL who might be leaving Mosul from getting to Syria," Lavrov said, referring to Islamic State militants in Iraq.
Air strikes and shelling in rebel-held Aleppo has killed dozens this week, according to a monitoring group. The bombardment restarted Tuesday after a four-week pause, part of a wider military escalation by the Syrian government and its allies, including Russia, against insurgents.
Lavrov did not comment when asked about the future of the Iran nuclear agreement that Russia helped broker once Donald Trump, who has vowed to dismantle it, becomes president of the United States.
(Reporting by Mitra Taj; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- LPL Financial (LPLA) Said to Decide to Stay Independent After Reviewing Options - Bloomberg
- Kerry urges Russia to show 'grace' in Geneva Aleppo talks
- Syria, Russia pound rebel-held Aleppo but advances halt
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!