Islamic State killing civilians who don't cooperate in Mosul: U.N.
- Wall Street falls as bank, healthcare shares weigh
- Qualcomm (QCOM) Faces U.S. Antitrust Case Over Licensing - Bloomberg
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Verizon Communications (VZ) May Acquire Big Cable Company - NYP (CHTR) (CMCSA)
- Citron Research Negative on Lannett (LCI); Sees Shares at 'Zero' Over Long Term
An Iraqi soldier searches a house during clashes with Islamic State fighters in Al-Qasar, southeast of Mosul. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
GENEVA (Reuters) - Islamic State militants in the Iraqi city of Mosul have killed civilians who refuse to allow rockets and snipers to be sited in their houses or whom they suspect of leaking information or trying to flee, a U.N. human rights spokeswoman said on Tuesday.
"On Nov. 11, ISIL reportedly shot and killed 12 civilians in Bakir neighborhood of eastern Mosul city for allegedly refusing to let it install rockets on the rooftops of their houses," Ravina Shamdasani told a regular U.N. briefing.
Information received by the U.N. also showed that militants publicly shot to death 27 civilians in Muhandiseen Park in northern Mosul on Nov. 25, and on Nov. 22 an Islamic State sniper killed a seven-year-old running towards the Iraqi Security Forces in Adan neighborhood in eastern Mosul.
(Reporting by Tom Miles; editing by Stephanie Nebehay)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Brexit outline gives pound something to cling to - for now
- Justin Trudeau set to shuffle officials to handle Trump challenge
- Exclusive: Nigeria's efforts to secure international loans hit deadlock - sources
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!