India's SBI says will gain $120 billion in assets from takeover of units
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- U.S. stocks pare gains after Trump's inaugural speech
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Herbalife (HLF) Says SEC Requested Documents on Anti-Corruption Compliance in China; Reviewed with DoJ
Birds fly past the headquarters of State Bank of India in Mumbai, India, March 9, 2016. REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - State Bank of India (SBI) (NYSE: SBI), the nation's biggest lender by assets, will gain $120 billion in assets following its merger with associate banks and Bhartiya Mahila Bank, the lender said in a statement on Saturday.
In a first move to consolidate India's struggling public sector banks, SBI's board on Thursday approved share swap ratio for the proposed takeover of five units that had been run at arms-length, as well as state-run Bharatiya Mahila Bank, a bank for women set up in 2013.
Policymakers want to recapitalize and consolidate India's state-run banks so that they can extend fresh credit and help drive an investment-led recovery in Asia's third-largest economy that is currently getting a boost from state and private consumption.
India's 27 public sector banks account for 70 percent of its banking sector assets, as well as the lion's share of the country's $120 billion in troubled loans.
SBI said the merger would expand its assets by 36 percent to about $447 billion.
(Reporting by Rajesh Kumar Singh; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Rite Aid (RAD)/Walgreens (WBA) Antitrust Concerns Doesn't Mean Deal is Dead, Says Deutsche Bank
- Eli Lilly (LLY) to Acquire CoLucid Pharmaceuticals (CLCD) for $960M
- Bats Global Market (BATS) Stockholders Approve Merger Agreement with CBOE (CBOE)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!