Hungarian policeman killed by machine gun during house search
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- S&P 500 ends up slightly with boost from financials; Netflix up late
- Nestle Said Examining Takeover of Mead Johnson (MJN) - Source
- La Quinta Holdings (LQ) Gains on Plan to Split in Two
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/18: (OCLR) (CSX) (NFLX) Higher; (AMDA) (RCII) (ZYNE) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
BUDAPEST (Reuters) - A Hungarian policeman was shot dead with a machine gun early on Wednesday when police tried to search the home of a 76-year-old man suspected of illegal possession of firearms, police and prosecutors said.
The policeman, 46, was shot in the head during the attack in Bony, near the western industrial hub of Gyor, police said. The assailant was wounded by police fire and was rushed off to a local hospital.
"As police entered the premises, the assailant, who was the subject of the investigation, used a firearm against police officers," prosecutor Imre Keresztes told a news conference.
"Based on current findings, the assailant fired 5 to 6 shots from a machine gun," he added.
Prosecutors gave no further information about the assailant. Regional news website kisalfold.hu said he was a member of a local far-right organization.
(Reporting by Gergely Szakacs; Editing by Tom Heneghan)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Undocumented worker sues San Francisco for violating sanctuary law
- NBCU shutting cable's Esquire Network, re-launching as digital
- UK house price growth slows for first time since July: RICS
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!