Hundreds flee fires threatening Spain's Costa Blanca resorts
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
MADRID (Reuters) - Fires raged around Spain's eastern Costa Blanca resorts on Sunday and Monday, forcing more than 1,000 residents and tourists to flee, emergency services said.
Authorities said they believed people had started three blazes that ripped through vegetation and destroyed buildings in the town of Javea and other areas up the coast from the popular holiday spot of Benidorm.
"The hand of man again was involved in a very precise way, choosing the hottest day of the year," Jose Maria Angel, the head of the Valencia region's emergency services, told Spanish radio.
Temperatures soared to 42 Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) on Sunday in Javea, where foreigners make up almost half of residents. The fires broke out on Sunday afternoon and spread quickly, fueled by strong winds and dry conditions.
More than 300 people lodged in local schools and shelters, said emergency services who fought the flames through the night, backed by aircraft and military units.
(Reporting by Angus Berwick; Editing by Sarah White and Andrew Heavens)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Oil prices rise on U.S. crude stock decline, weaker dollar
- Japan third-quarter GDP revised down as capex, inventories shrink
- Euro inches up, hovers near 3-week high as focus shifts to ECB
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!