Hanjin Shipping in talks to sell Long Beach Terminal stake to MSC
A tugboat passes Hanjin Hungary container ship at PSA's Tanjong Pagar terminal in Singapore September 28, 2016. REUTERS/Edgar Su/File Photo
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
By Joyce Lee
SEOUL (Reuters) - Hanjin Shipping Co Ltd <117930.KS> is in talks to sell its stake in the Long Beach Terminal in California to Geneva-based Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A.(MSC), a spokesman for the Seoul court overseeing the shipper's receivership said on Friday.
Hanjin Shipping owns a 54 percent stake in Total Terminals International LLC, which operates Long Beach Terminal in the U.S. MSC owns the remaining 46 percent.
It has appointed an advisor, an overseas firm specializing in shipping industry talks, to help with the negotiations, the court spokesman said.
Hanjin, the first major shipping line to be dragged down by global industry overcapacity and low freight rates, put up other assets such as its U.S.-Asia route manpower and logistics systems, five container ships and 10 overseas businesses, for sale earlier this month.
Hyundai Merchant Marine Co Ltd <011200.KS> said it is considering submitting a preliminary bid for Hanjin assets used in its U.S.-Asia routes, but prospects for additional interest are unclear.
Hanjin, which filed for court receivership on Aug. 31 after its creditors cut off financial support for the firm, had total debt of 6.03 trillion won ($5.4 billion) as of end-June.
(Reporting by Joyce Lee; Editing by Stephen Coates and Edwina Gibbs)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump to sign order as early as Monday to renegotiate NAFTA: NBC
- Lloyds a victim of cyber attack that hit banking services
- Iraq PM orders investigation into abuses reported in Mosul battle
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!