Gunmen kidnap Romanian engineer in Niger Delta
- Oil rallies over $50 despite OPEC output cut doubts
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- Universal Health (UHS) Disputes and Denies Conclusions in BuzzFeed Article
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
ONITSHA, Nigeria (Reuters) - Gunmen have kidnapped a Romanian engineer in Nigeria's oil-producing Niger Delta, police said on Tuesday.
Officers have launched a search for the man in the area of Owa Oyibo, where he was abducted late on Monday, said Celestina Kalu, a spokeswoman for police in Delta state.
He was working for Dextron Nigeria Ltd, a construction firm, Kalu added.
The southern swampland has been hit by a wave of militant attacks on oil and gas facilities and a general breakdown of law. Militants are fighting for a greater share of oil revenues for the impoverished Niger Delta, which is home to much of Nigeria's oil production.
(Reporting by Anamesere Igboeroteonwu; Writing by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tigris lioness: Iraqi militiawoman fights for revenge against Islamic State
- Trump's choice of China envoy a positive sign for ties, Xinhua says
- Danish MP suggests shooting at boats carrying migrants