Gunfire celebrating cricket match rattles Afghan capital
- Wall St. opens higher as M&A activity boosts confidence
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- TD Ameritrade (AMTD) to Acquire Scottrade in $4B Cash & Stock Deal
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/24: (BEAV) (JPEP) (HLT) Higher; (BAS) (INO) (ADRO) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
KABUL (Reuters) - Explosions and the sound of gunfire set off alarms in the diplomatic quarter of the Afghan capital Kabul on Monday night, but officials said the noise appeared to be in celebration of a cricket match.
The sounds rattled a city on edge after regular attacks by various insurgent groups vying to undermine the Western-backed government.
Warning sirens could be heard from various embassies as loudspeakers urged employees to take shelter in safe rooms and bunkers.
(Reporting by Josh Smith; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Congo's Kabila courts regional support as opposition prepares 'red card'
- Citi denies involvement in illegal money transfer on behalf of MTN
- Russia fires deputy sports minister involved in doping scandal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!