French far-right leader Marine Le Pen congratulates Donald Trump
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
French National Front (FN) leader Marine Le Pen attends a FN political debate in Paris, France November 8, 2016. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
PARIS (Reuters) - France's far-right National Front party leader Marine Le Pen congratulated Donald Trump for his U.S. presidential election victory on Wednesday and said she hoped the same kind of upset would happen in France next year.
"Congratulations to the new president of the United States Donald Trump and to the free American people!" Le Pen, who will compete in France's presidential election six months from now, said on Twitter.
"What happened last night was not the end of the world, it was the end of a world," she later told reporters. "The Americans gave themselves a president of their choosing and not the one that the establishment wanted them to rubber-stamp."
Opinion polls show Le Pen likely to win the first round of French presidential elections next April but lose the second runoff round in May to whoever should be her opponent.
Her father Jean-Marie Le Pen, the party founder who reached the second round of French presidential elections in 2002, tweeted: "Today the United States, tomorrow France."
France's National Front has been building support for its anti-immigration, anti-European Union stance in recent years.
Marine Le Pen argued that Trump's victory is part of a much wider revolt by voters against political elites worldwide, not only in France.
(Reporting by Andrew Callus and Ingrid Melander; Editing by Sudip Kar-Gupta and Tom Heneghan)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ladder Capital (LADR) to Explore Sale - Reuters
- Relatives of missing Flight MH370 passengers 'taking search into own hands'
- Grieving Brazilian town receives bodies of soccer crash victims
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump, Twitter
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!