French June industrial output falls on refinery strikes
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
PARIS (Reuters) - French industrial production unexpectedly fell 0.8 percent in June from May, figures from the INSEE official statistics agency showed on Wednesday, due largely to a decline in refinery activity during nationwide strikes.
A Reuters poll of 22 economists had an average forecast for a rise of 0.1 percent with estimates ranging from -1.0 to +1.3 percent.
The decline was driven by a 12.4 percent drop in the refining sector, INSEE said, following a 21 percent decrease the previous month, as strikes at Total's refineries disrupted production. The French oil major was only able to resume production around the middle of June after the 27-day strike.
But June output was also down 2.6 percent in the equipment goods sector, and 1.7 percent in the transport material sector, with only the mining, energy and water sector expanding with a 1.9 percent rise.
Over the second quarter as a whole, industrial production was down 0.1 percent from the previous quarter, and up 0.4 percent from the same quarter a year ago.
The following are the main figures given by INSEE (percentage changes). The year-on-year figures compare the last three months with same period a year earlier and three-month figures compare the last three months with preceding three months.
For full details from INSEE: http://www.insee.fr/en/themes/info-rapide.asp?id=10
For a graphic: http://link.reuters.com/huq57s
(Reporting by Paris Newsroom; editing by Richard Lough)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- TD Ameritrade and TD bank nearing $4 bln deal to buy Scottrade- source
- Center-right opposition claims victory in Lithuania vote, to start coalition talks
- Berkshire Partners nears deal to acquire Masergy: sources
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesIndustrial Production
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!