Former banker Macron joins French presidential race
- European stocks hit three-week low as Trump reality sets in
- Unease over Trump sends dollar to one-and-half month low
- Oil falls as signs of U.S. output rise overshadows OPEC-led cuts
- Morgan Stanley Upgrades Dish Network (DISH) to Overweight
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
Emmanuel Macron, former French economy minister and head of the political movement "En Marche" or "Forward", arrives to deliver a speech to announce his candidacy for the 2017 French presidential election as part of a visit at the Campus des Metiers et de
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
PARIS (Reuters) - French former economy minister Emmanuel Macron joined the 2017 presidential election race on Wednesday, formally announcing that he was entering the contest as an independent candidate.
Macron, a 38-year old former investment banker, made his mark deregulating services including bus transport during a stint in Socialist President Francois Hollande's government. He has never held elected office.
His candidacy increases the number of contenders taking part in a two-round election where just two go through to the run-off in May. Opinion polls have so far suggested the most likely scenario is a duel between conservative Alain Juppe and far-right National Front leader Marine Le Pen.
(Reporting by Emmanuel Jarry; Writing by Brian Love; Editing by Andrew Callus)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Anglo sees incremental gains as trading unit hits cruising speed
- China urges Trump administration to grasp importance of 'one China'
- China cracks down on unauthorized internet connections
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!