Fiat Chrysler in talks with Samsung and others over Magneti Marelli: chairman
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) in Advanced Talks to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
TURIN (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
"There are ongoing talks, but nothing formal," Elkann said on Saturday during a meeting of shareholders in his family's EXOR holding company
Talks with officials from the Korean group had taken place on the sidelines of EXOR board meeting earlier this week, he added.
Samsung Electronics's vice chairman Jae Yong Lee is an independent board member of EXOR.
"We have talked about Magneti Marelli and also other issues, including the insurance sector ... as we own PartnerRE," Elkann told journalists.
The components unit is attracting interest because it could have an important role in car development in the coming decades, Elkann said, adding FCA was keen to strengthen the business.
Last month FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne said Magneti Marelli's future would be outside the Fiat group in the medium- or long-term, but for now it was essential to its parent company.
Samsung has identified automotive components as a growth driver as sales in its existing businesses, including smartphones, slowed. Acquiring a proven supplier such as Magneti Marelli could help it overcome the high entry barrier in an industry known for conservatism and an emphasis on track record.
(Reporting By Gianni Montani; writing by Francesca Landini; Editing by Jon Boyle)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- "FCA Replay" Wraps the Week
- Chile's president forgets to sign name at voting booth, leaves behind ID
- U.S. auto sales in October expected to drop 7 percent: J.D. Power-LMC
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesChrysler LLC
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!