Fiat Chrysler in talks with Samsung and others over Magneti Marelli: chairman
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/19: (SWKS) (QRVO) (NVAX) Higher; (AFMD) (SGYP) (IBM) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
TURIN (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
"There are ongoing talks, but nothing formal," Elkann said on Saturday during a meeting of shareholders in his family's EXOR holding company
Talks with officials from the Korean group had taken place on the sidelines of EXOR board meeting earlier this week, he added.
Samsung Electronics's vice chairman Jae Yong Lee is an independent board member of EXOR.
"We have talked about Magneti Marelli and also other issues, including the insurance sector ... as we own PartnerRE," Elkann told journalists.
The components unit is attracting interest because it could have an important role in car development in the coming decades, Elkann said, adding FCA was keen to strengthen the business.
Last month FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne said Magneti Marelli's future would be outside the Fiat group in the medium- or long-term, but for now it was essential to its parent company.
Samsung has identified automotive components as a growth driver as sales in its existing businesses, including smartphones, slowed. Acquiring a proven supplier such as Magneti Marelli could help it overcome the high entry barrier in an industry known for conservatism and an emphasis on track record.
(Reporting By Gianni Montani; writing by Francesca Landini; Editing by Jon Boyle)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Stocks with increasing put volume on January 13
- Fed's Yellen says unwise to allow U.S. economy to run 'hot'
- Conflicted U.S. capital prepares to host Trump's inauguration
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesChrysler LLC
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!