False alarm leads to major police operation in central Paris
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
PARIS (Reuters) - Parts of central Paris were cordoned off on Saturday after a false alarm triggered a major security operation, French police said.
French government security alert app - SAIP - warned citizens that a police operation was under way in Saint-Leu church in the busy shopping district of Chatelet and advised people to stay away.
Interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, issued a statement confirming the false alarm and said that "the circumstances around the intervention" had yet to be determined.
More than one hundred police officers, including elite units, carried out the operation and the area was reopened to traffic after it became evident that there was no danger, a Reuters witness said.
Security forces had responded to a call that claimed hostages had been taken in Saint-Leu church, interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told BFM TV.
"As the operation took place, the church's priest came out as well as a number of people and the BRI (emergency intervention and search service) made sure there was nobody, that there was no assailant," he said.
France is on high alert for security threats after a series of attacks by Islamist militants that have killed more than 230 people since January 2015.
(Reporting by Astrid Wendlandt and Julien Pretot; Editing by Louise Ireland)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Oil edges up after producer meeting, but high U.S. output weighs
- Trump, Israel's Netanyahu to speak at 1:30 pm ET: White House
- Shootout at Texas mall leaves one dead, seven wounded
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!