FINRA names former JPMorgan top lawyer to its board of governors
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- S&P 500 ends up slightly with boost from financials; Netflix up late
- Nestle Said Examining Takeover of Mead Johnson (MJN) - Source
- La Quinta Holdings (LQ) Gains on Plan to Split in Two
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/18: (OCLR) (CSX) (NFLX) Higher; (AMDA) (RCII) (ZYNE) Lower (more...)
A sign for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) is seen outside the offices in New York's financial district July 22, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority named Stephen Cutler, vice chairman and former linchpin lawyer for JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM), to its board of governors Thursday.
He replaces Greg Fleming, Morgan Stanley's (NYSE: MS) last head of wealth management, who resigned from the board earlier this year.
FINRA's organizing rules require that the securities industry self-regulator be overseen by a board of 10 industry governors, three of whom must come from large firms.
Cutler, who will step into one of the large-firm seats, has been on the regulatory side before as head of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement division. However, he has clashed with them, too.
As chief counsel for JPMorgan, Cutler played a key role in the bank's $13 billion settlement with the federal government over charges that JPMorgan overstated the quality of mortgages it sold to investors in the run-up to the financial crisis.
Months later at a conference sponsored by the Clearing House, Cutler said that regulation of the banks was spiraling out of control and what had become "enforcement-worthy has changed."
(Reporting by Elizabeth Dilts; Editing by Leslie Adler)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UniPixel (UNXL) Reports MOU for Strategic Partnership with General Interface Solution
- Zynerba Pharma (ZYNE) Plans Offering of Common Stock
- Stocks with call price movement; BAC MS