European privacy regulators to scrutinize WhatsApp privacy switch
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- China Oceanwide to Acquire Genworth Financial (GNW) for $2.7B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
An illustration photo shows Whatsapp App logos on a mobile phone in Sao Paulo, Brazil, December 16, 2015. REUTERS/Nacho Doce/File Photo
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
WhatsApp, which counts more than a billion users globally, said on Thursday it would start sharing users' phone numbers with Facebook, helping it to target advertisements and friend recommendations across the social media network.
It said WhatsApp users could choose not to share their account information with Facebook.
"What is at stake is the control of individual users over their own data when they are combined by major Internet players."
The G29 is made up of representatives of the data protection authorities of each of Europe's 28-member states, the European Data Protection Supervisor and the European Commission.
In response, Britain's data privacy regulator, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), said it was monitoring the changes to ensure that the new policy stays within data protection laws (http://reut.rs/2bwpIdX).
The French data protection authority is studying Facebook's response earlier this month to issues the regulator has raised over the company's handling of customer data for targeting advertising to the social network's members.
CNIL has yet to receive any specific complaints from citizens to the latest changes to WhatsApp privacy policies, it said.
By Monday several European media including France Info and Switzerland's Le Temps warned readers about the policy change and gave them tips on how to avoid letting WhatsApp handing over their phone number to Facebook.
(Reporting by Eric Auchard and Astrid Wendlandt; editing by Susan Thomas)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- Pakistan's plan to cut disaster risk aims at a new target - schools
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!