Comcast's NBC News in talks with Euronews on potential investment
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
The NBC and Comcast logo are displayed on top of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, formerly known as the GE building, in midtown Manhattan in New York July 1, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
By Gwénaëlle Barzic and Jessica Toonkel
PARIS/NEW YORK (Reuters) - NBCUniversal, the U.S. media conglomerate owned by Comcast Corp (NASDAQ: CMCSA), said on Thursday it was in talks to buy a stake in European broadcaster Euronews.
Euronews' supervisory board has mandated Chief Executive Michael Peters to conduct exclusive talks with the aim of finding an agreement by the end of the year, a source close to Euronews management told Reuters.
Under a possible plan, NBC News - part of NBCUniversal - would look to strengthen Euronews' offerings, while NBCUniversal could use the transaction as a first step to expanding its operations on the European continent.
NBC would take a stake of between 15 percent and 30 percent in Euronews, the source said.
A spokesman for NBC News said it is "in discussions with Euronews about a potential investment and collaborative partnership between the two," but did not provide any details.
Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris, who owns 53 percent of the broadcaster's shares following a 35 million euro ($38.1 million) capital increase last year, would remain the controlling shareholder in Euronews, the source added.
Created in 1993, Euronews broadcasts in 13 languages and covers 155 countries.
Initially conceived in the wake of the 1990 Gulf War as a 'European CNN,' it used to be owned by a consortium of state-owned European channels, which became minority shareholders after the arrival of Sawiris.
Comcast acquired NBCUniversal in stages for about $30 billion, completing its takeover in 2011.
($1 = 0.9182 euros)
(Editing by Bill Rigby)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: HSBC Starts Comcast Corp (CMCSA) at Buy
- Trump, Israel's Netanyahu to speak at 1:30 pm ET: White House
- Egypt's Museum of Islamic Art welcomes first visitors since 2014 bombing
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!