Coast Guard will not reopen search for missing woman after son found
- Wall Street falls with financials, other post-election gainers
- The FTC Confirms Antitrust Charges Against Qualcomm (QCOM) for Monopolizing Semiconductor Device Used in Cell Phones
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- Obama shortens sentence of Manning, who gave secrets to WikiLeaks
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/17: (SHLO) Higher; (GIMO) (AFAM) (CSX) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BOSTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Coast Guard will not reopen a search for a 54-year-old woman whose fishing boat sank last week, despite the discovery of her son alive on a life raft a week after the incident, officials said on Monday.
Authorities had searched 62,000 square nautical miles off New England, an area larger than the state of Georgia, after Linda Carman, 54, and Nathan Carman, 22, failed to return to their Rhode Island port from a fishing trip on their 31-foot (9.5 m) boat the "Chicken Pox" on Sept. 18.
A passing freighter found the younger Carman alive in a life raft on Saturday, within the search area Petty Officer Nicole Groll outlined to reporters on Monday.
He told rescuers he had searched for his mother but failed to find her.
"The search window will not be reopened," Groll said.
(Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Disabled refugees 'overlooked' in Greece: Human Rights Watch
- Australian PM resists major cabinet reshuffle as he names new health minister
- Citadel pays SEC $22.6 million to settle charges of misleading customers
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!