Cleric sought by Turkey says will return only if independent body finds him guilty
- Dow, S&P 500 surge to highs; transports set record
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/7: (ANTH) (EMKR) (PLAY) Higher; (SIGM) (OHAI) (FTK) Lower
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Western Digital (WDC) Raises Q2 Outlook
- Biotech, Pharma Stocks Weaker Amid Trump Comments on Lower Drug Prices
U.S. based cleric Fethullah Gulen at his home in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S. July 29, 2016. REUTERS/Charles Mostoller
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
PARIS (Reuters) - A U.S.-based Muslim cleric accused by Ankara of masterminding last month's failed coup said on Friday he would only hand himself over to Turkish authorities if an independent international investigative body first found him guilty.
"If a tenth of the accusations against me are established, I pledge to return to Turkey and serve the heaviest sentence," Fethullah Gulen said in an opinion piece in French daily Le Monde.
Gulen, who denies any involvement in the coup and has condemned it, said he believed the Turkish justice system was now controlled by the country's executive arm.
Turkey is pressing the United States to extradite the 75-year-old cleric and has purged tens of thousands of his suspected followers from the armed forces, other state institutions, the media and academia.
(Reporting by Michel Rose; Editing by Gareth Jones)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Turner will create shows for Snapchat in expanded partnership
- Georgia officer killed, second wounded in shooting near university
- Israel's Netanyahu gives conditional 'No' to meeting Palestinian president in Paris
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!