Chinese automaker BYD forecasts up to 84 percent profit rise for 2016
- Dow opens at record high led by oil, bank stocks
- Oil tops $55 for first time in 16 months as OPEC deal fuels buying
- Consolidated Communications (CNSL) to Acquire FairPoint Communications (FRP) in $1.5B Deal
- Wall St. stock futures fall after Italy referendum
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/05: (FRP) (GMED) (CHK) Higher; (CERC) (HDSN) (MRVL) Lower (more...)
Cars are built at a BYD weld line in Shenzhen, China May 25, 2016. REUTERS/Bobby Yip
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese automaker BYD Co Ltd <1211.HK> <002594.SZ>, backed by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc
The Shenzhen-based manufacturer, which has invested heavily in making electric and hybrid petrol-electric vehicles, forecast a 77.09 percent to 84.17 percent increase in net profit for the year, at 5.0 billion yuan ($737.90 million) to 5.2 billion yuan.
For the first nine months of 2016, BYD reported 3.66 billion yuan in profit, an 86.82 percent increase year-on-year. That compared with the automaker's forecast in August of 83 percent to 91 percent for the period.
BYD reported triple-digit profit growth for the previous four quarters. But its earnings expansion in the first nine months of 2016 slipped below 100 percent as the overall market for green-energy vehicles moderates after government support helped it quadruple last year.
Overall sales of electric and plug-in hybrids in China totaled 289,000 vehicles in January-September, according to China's automakers association, far from its target of 700,000 vehicles for 2016. An association official said Friday that sales were now likely to miss that target.
Analysts said China may struggle to meet that target following the revelation that dozens of companies had been cheating the subsidy system.
(Reporting by Jake Spring and Elias Glenn, editing by Larry King)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Credit Suisse Upgrades National Beverage (FIZZ) to Outperform
- Audi extends job guarantees for German workers until 2020
- Russia says to start talks with U.S. on Aleppo rebel withdrawal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesWarren Buffett, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!