China needs to urgently transform its economy: cabinet think-tank
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- China Oceanwide to Acquire Genworth Financial (GNW) for $2.7B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
An employee works in an automobile factory in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, China, July 8, 2016. China Daily/via REUTERS/File Photo
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
BEIJING (Reuters) - China urgently needs to transform its economy by implementing supply-side and structural reforms, the vice head of China's cabinet think-tank said on Monday.
"If old ways continue, not only will investment rates continue to fall and debt continue to rise, but financial risks will also increase," Wang Yiming, deputy director of the Development Research Centre of the State Council wrote in the ruling Communist Party's official newspaper, People's Daily.
The country needs to reduce the supply of ineffective and low-end products and increase supply of efficient, middle and high-end products, he wrote.
China needs to focus on structural reforms including reducing government bureaucracy, and reforming state-owned enterprises, as well as the fiscal, tax and financial systems, he added.
(Reporting by Sue-Lin Wong; Editing by Richard Borsuk)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Asian sailors freed by Somali pirates arrive in Kenya for flights home
- Chile's president forgets to sign name at voting booth, leaves behind ID
- U.S. options market not very 'Trumped up' ahead of vote
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!