China launches state-owned aircraft engine maker: state media
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
A visitor rests next to a billboard showing the signs of Chinese Air Force's fighters and helicopters, which are made by Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), at the Aviation Expo China 2015, in Beijing, China, September 16, 2015. REUTERS/Jason
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
BEIJING (Reuters) - China has set up a state-owned aircraft engine maker with registered capital of 50 billion yuan ($7.5 billion), state television said on Sunday, in the latest effort to develop home-grown, high-tech businesses to compete in international markets.
The government's overhaul of state-owned enterprises to push Chinese products and services up the value chain has prioritized aircraft engines, high-speed rail and nuclear power as areas in which it wants China to excel.
China's cabinet, Beijing municipal government, the Aviation Industry Corp of China (AVIC) and Commercial Aircraft Corp of China are investors in the new Aero-Engine Group of China, combining a number of smaller businesses and their 96,000 employees to focus on designing, manufacturing and testing of aircraft engines, the report said.
President Xi Jinping called for the company to accelerate independent research, development and manufacturing of aircraft engines and gas turbines that will help China to achieve its goal of becoming an aviation power, Xinhua news agency said.
State-owned AVIC said in March that it was finalizing a 129 billion yuan merger of its aircraft engine businesses in a move to create a giant that could eventually compete with the likes of United Technologies Corp's (NYSE: UTX) aircraft engine maker Pratt & Whitney.
(Reporting by Kevin Yao; Editing by Christian Schmollinger and David Goodman)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) in Advanced Talks to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) - WSJ
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!