China angered as Japan withholds UNESCO funding in history row
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Pigeons fly above a Chinese flag flown at half-staff as people attend a ceremony to mark the second national memorial day for the Nanjing Massacre, at the Nanjing Massacre Museum in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, China, December 13, 2015. REUTERS/China Dail
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Wednesday that Japan had acted irresponsibly by withholding its 2016 funding for the UN heritage body UNESCO in a row over how the 1937 Nanjing Massacre is remembered.
UNESCO last year decided to include documents about the massacre in its "Memory of the World" program.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the massacre was a serious crime and a historical fact recognized by the international community, and UNESCO was right to include it in the listing.
"What Japan has said and done once again lays bare their wrong attitude of not acknowledging history," Hua told a daily news briefing in Beijing. "Not paying fees to UNESCO to exert pressure is irresponsible. They will not achieve their aims."
Ties between China and Japan, the world's second- and third-largest economies, have been plagued with a territorial dispute over a group of tiny East China Sea islets and the legacy of Japan's wartime aggression.
China says Japanese troops killed 300,000 people in 1937 in its then capital of Nanjing. A postwar Allied tribunal put the death toll at 142,000, but some conservative Japanese politicians and scholars deny a massacre took place at all.
UNESCO established the "Memory of the World" program in 1992 to protect important historical documents and materials.
Japan last year raised questions about the authenticity of the Nanjing Massacre documents submitted by Chinese organizations for the inclusion in the program and asked for fairness and transparency, prompting an angry retort from China.
(Reporting by Ben Blanchard)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- British PM heads to Bahrain to cement Gulf ties before Brexit
- Euro tumbles to 20-month low after Italy's PM concedes defeat
- EU urges U.S. tech giants to act faster against hate speech
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!