Cavani strikes back with four goals as PSG sink Caen
- Top 10 News for 9/26 - 9/30: Deutsche Bank Soars on Settlement; Twitter Back in the M&A Fray; Nike 'Just Didn't Do It' in Q1
- Wall Street rallies, led by Deutsche Bank, financials
- Viacom (VIAB) Forms Special Committee; Will Explore Potential Combination with CBS (CBS)
- Deutsche Bank (DB) Said Near $5.4B Settlement with U.S. - AFP
- Oil up second straight month on OPEC-fueled rally
Football Soccer - Caen v Paris Saint Germain - French Ligue 1 - Michel d'Ornano stadium in Caen, France - 16/09/16. Paris' Edinson Cavani celebrates his fourth goal. REUTERS/Charles Platiau
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
PARIS (Reuters) - Edinson Cavani silenced his critics when he scored four goals in Paris St Germain’s 6-0 victory at Caen in Ligue 1 on Friday.
The Uruguay striker, who wasted a handful of chances in the French champions’ 1-1 home draw against Arsenal in the Champions League on Tuesday, found the back of the net four times before the break in a one-sided encounter.
The result meant that PSG, who had bagged only one point from their last two league encounters, move to the top of the standings with 10 points from five games.
Monaco, Girondins de Bordeaux and Nice, among others, could take over at the top depending on Saturday’s results.
Cavani opened the scoring after 12 minutes when he latched onto a Maxwell cross from the left and doubled the tally from the penalty spot after Syam Ben Youssef fouled Lucas in the box.
Maxwell again set up Cavani for the third, the forward tapping in from a cross at the near post seven minutes from the break. Cavani added a fourth on the stroke of halftime, poking the ball home from Thomas Meunier’s cross.
Unai Emery’s side’s domination continued after the break as Lucas fired home from just outside the box in the 67th.
Forward Jean-Kevin Augustin added a sixth, converting Adrien Radiot’s assist 11 minutes from time.
Monaco take on Stade Rennais and Bordeaux host Angers on Saturday.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Police clash with migrants and protesters outside Jungle camp
- Milan court orders trial over Monte dei Paschi trades: legal sources
- BAE Systems to begin building new British nuclear submarines
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!