Caterpillar to explore options for some mining products, cut jobs
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Mining equipment is displayed at the Caterpillar booth during MINExpo International 2012 trade show at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada September 24, 2012. REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT) said on Thursday it would explore options, including a possible divestiture for some of its mining products, and would stop taking orders for machinery specific to underground soft rock mining.
The decision for Caterpillar to review its options for products in its mining division indicates more of a long-term decline in global mining instead of a cyclical dip.
Chief Executive Office Doug Oberhelman said last month he was not expecting an upturn in mining or oil in 2016.
"There are very few buyers for those assets. Some of the natural fits have also been divesting," Kwame Webb, a Morningstar analyst said.
"I wouldn't be surprised if they just wind the business down. This has been a company that when it gets too tough, they exit the business," Webb said.
Earlier this year, Caterpillar said it would end production of its on-highway vocational trucks.
The company said it expects to cut up to 155 jobs in the room and pillar business, which caters to underground soft rock mining customers.
These cuts are part of an overall restructuring plan.
Caterpillar shares closed down more than 1 percent at $83.38.
(Reporting by Meredith Davis in Chicago; Additional Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Bengaluru; Editing by Alan Crosby)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Caterpillar (CAT) Offers FY17 Guidance Update at Credit Suisse Conference
- Palestinian President Abbas gets boost in Fatah congress vote
- Army denies Dakota pipeline permit, in victory for Native tribes
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesMorningstar, Inc., Layoffs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!