Canada's Trudeau promotes rookie politician in cabinet shuffle
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
Canada's new Small Business and Tourism Minister Bardish Chagger is sworn-in during a ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa November 4, 2015. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweaked his cabinet on Friday, promoting a rookie female member of parliament to fill a gap left earlier this year by the resignation of a minister who sought treatment for addiction.
Bardish Chagger was sworn in as the new leader of the government in the House of Commons. She also retains her previous role as minister of small business and tourism.
Trudeau has emphasized the need for gender and ethnic diversity in his cabinet and Chagger's appointment to the prestigious role further highlighted that.
Chagger, the daughter of Indian immigrants, first came to office in the 2015 election that swept the Liberals and Trudeau into power, ousting the previous Conservative government.
She replaces previous house leader Dominic LeBlanc, who took over as minister of fisheries and oceans after Hunter Tootoo resigned in May to seek treatment for addiction issues.
The mini cabinet shuffle comes a day after Health Minister Jane Philpott said she will repay taxpayers about C$3,700 ($2,875) for excessive costs related to work travel, including a C$1,700 limo ride. Opposition politicians have said the spending controversy is a reminder to voters of previous spending scandals that plagued the last Liberal government, which lost power in 2006.
(Reporting by Leah Schnurr and Andrea Hopkins; Editing by Tom Brown)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Morgan Stanley Downgrades Travelport Worldwide Limited (TVPT) to Equalweight
- Mattis speaks with NATO chief, highlighting importance of alliance
- Czechs say Polish man released after being held in Syria since 2015
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesSecond Curve Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!