California August revenue beats forecasts
- Wall Street rises, buoyed by economic data; Dow sets high
- Twitter (TWTR) 'Takeover Money' Moves On as 'Trump Money' Moves In
- Amazon (AMZN) Could Open Over 2,000 Brick-and Mortar Groceries if Tests Succeed - DJ; Kroger (KR) on Watch
- Buy Any Seasonal Market Weakness Ahead of Year End Rally - Oppenheimer (SPY)
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/05: (TXMD) (COUP) (BOBE) Higher; (SB) (LXRX) (STWD) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California state revenue exceeded official projections in August by 5.2 percent, after four straight months of missed budget projections, thanks to strong personal income tax receipts, the state said on Monday.
State Controller Betty Yee said in a statement that "under our outdated tax structure, revenues fluctuate greatly from month to month."
California’s August revenue of $8.56 billion outpaced expectations by $425.2 million or 5.2 percent.
Personal income tax receipts totaled $4.79 billion in August. That was $373.4 million, or about 8.5 percent, higher than predicted.
Corporation tax receipts totaled $72.8 million, about $49.7 million, or 40.6 percent, short of expectations. For the fiscal year to date, they are nearly 25 percent lower than anticipated.
Retail sales and use tax receipts of $3.24 billion were just $20.8 million, or 0.6 percent, lower than expected. For the fiscal year to date, sales tax receipts are 5.6 percent lower than expected.
In July, the state's revenue missed projections by $591 million, or 9.8 percent, due to lower than expected sales, personal income and corporate taxes.
(Reporting by Robin Respaut; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- California prepares to fight Trump on immigration, other issues
- Clashes between Congo tribal militia, government kill 31
- U.S. patent agency to weigh rival claims on gene-editing technology
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesPersonal Income/Spending
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!