Bridge collapse near Indonesia's Bali kills nine
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - A bridge connecting two small islands near the Indonesian resort island of Bali collapsed on Sunday, killing nine people and injuring at least 30, officials said.
There were too many people passing over the bridge for a religious ceremony when it collapsed at 6 PM local time, police officer Arendra Wahyudi said, adding some motorbikes also fell into the water.
The sea beneath the bridge was less than two meters deep, Wahyudi said, but many of the victims were crushed by debris.
All of the victims were locals, he said.
Indonesia's search and rescue agency stopped the search for the day at 9 PM local time, but will resume at daybreak on Monday, its spokesman said.
(Reporting by Agustinus Beo Da Costa and Bali stringer; Writing by Gayatri Suroyo; Editing by Mark Potter)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Syrian army rushes forces to historic Palmyra in IS battle
- Trump names Dow Chemical CEO Liveris to head Manufacturing Council
- Russia declines Japanese dog diplomacy ahead of summit