Bridge collapse near Indonesia's Bali kills nine
- Wall Street falls with financials, other post-election gainers
- The FTC Confirms Antitrust Charges Against Qualcomm (QCOM) for Monopolizing Semiconductor Device Used in Cell Phones
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- Obama shortens sentence of Manning, who gave secrets to WikiLeaks
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/17: (SHLO) Higher; (GIMO) (AFAM) (CSX) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - A bridge connecting two small islands near the Indonesian resort island of Bali collapsed on Sunday, killing nine people and injuring at least 30, officials said.
There were too many people passing over the bridge for a religious ceremony when it collapsed at 6 PM local time, police officer Arendra Wahyudi said, adding some motorbikes also fell into the water.
The sea beneath the bridge was less than two meters deep, Wahyudi said, but many of the victims were crushed by debris.
All of the victims were locals, he said.
Indonesia's search and rescue agency stopped the search for the day at 9 PM local time, but will resume at daybreak on Monday, its spokesman said.
(Reporting by Agustinus Beo Da Costa and Bali stringer; Writing by Gayatri Suroyo; Editing by Mark Potter)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump's U.N. pick to echo his criticism of world body, offer some praise
- New York governor wants to spend more on education, lower taxes
- US, Mexico, Cuba ready to sign 'Doughnut Hole' deal in Gulf waters
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!