Bomb blast in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley kills one, wounds 11: Red Cross
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
Lebanese army soldiers secure the area at the site of a bomb blast near the city of Zahle, Lebanon August 31, 2016. REUTERS/Hassan Abdallah
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
BEIRUT (Reuters) - A bomb blast on a road in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Wednesday killed at least one person and wounded 11 other people, the Lebanese Red Cross said.
The explosion took place at a roundabout near the city of Zahle, the source added, without elaborating. Local media reported the person killed was a woman, but gave no further details.
TV images from the scene showed broken glass littering the road near the roundabout, and people trying to treat someone lying on the ground with what looked like a head injury.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Several security incidents have hit Lebanon in recent months, including an attack by eight suicide bombers who blew themselves up killing five other people in a Christian village in the north in June.
Lebanon has been repeatedly jolted by the five-year-old civil war in neighboring Syria, where powerful Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah is fighting on the side of President Bashar al-Assad.
The spillover has included a number of attacks by Sunni Islamists, among the biggest of which was a bomb attack in Beirut in November last year.
(Reporting by John Davison, Laila Bassam and Lisa Barrington; Editing by Richard Balmforth)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Center-right opposition declares victory in Lithuania election
- Washington state 'grossly' unprepared for major quake: report
- Battle for Mosul can shape or break Iraq further
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!