Blast at Belgian sports center kills one, gas accident suspected
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - An explosion at a sports center in the southern Belgian town of Chimay early on Friday killed one person and wounded four others, two of them seriously, Belgium's Crisis Center said.
"It is probably a gas explosion," an official at the agency told Reuters, adding that there was no indication of it being a militant attack.
Local media reported the blast occurred just after midnight (6.00 p.m. ET) at a sports center known as "Le Chalon" in Chimay, close to the French border, when five people were still inside the building. Part of the building was destroyed.
Belgium and France, along with the rest of Europe, have been on high alert after Islamic State attacks in Paris and Brussels over the past year.
(Reporting by Robert-Jan Bartunek and Philip Blenkinsop; Editing by Alastair Macdonald)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- ThyssenKrupp secrets stolen in 'massive' cyber attack this year
- Iran minister says in U.S. interest to stay committed to nuclear pact
- EU unblocks visa-free travel for Ukraine, Georgia