Blast at Belgian sports center kills one, gas accident suspected
- Wall St. edges higher as earnings gather pace
- Alibaba (BABA) Tops Q3 EPS by 17c, Revenues Rise 54%
- DuPont (DD) Tops Q4 EPS by 9c; Sees Merger Closing in First Half
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Guides Modestly Below the Street
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 01/24: (MPSX) (IIVI) (AKS) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (VZ) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - An explosion at a sports center in the southern Belgian town of Chimay early on Friday killed one person and wounded four others, two of them seriously, Belgium's Crisis Center said.
"It is probably a gas explosion," an official at the agency told Reuters, adding that there was no indication of it being a militant attack.
Local media reported the blast occurred just after midnight (6.00 p.m. ET) at a sports center known as "Le Chalon" in Chimay, close to the French border, when five people were still inside the building. Part of the building was destroyed.
Belgium and France, along with the rest of Europe, have been on high alert after Islamic State attacks in Paris and Brussels over the past year.
(Reporting by Robert-Jan Bartunek and Philip Blenkinsop; Editing by Alastair Macdonald)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Iraqi PM Abadi confirms capture of east Mosul: State TV
- Unfazed by Trump, Innogy sticks with U.S. wind expansion plans
- BlackRock to ask if companies spend cash from tax holiday on growth
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!