Bill Gross wants Pimco, lawyers punished for 'bad-faith' tactics
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
By Jonathan Stempel
(Reuters) - Bond fund manager Bill Gross on Friday said Pacific Investment Management Co and its lawyers should be punished for unfairly impeding him from pursuing his $200 million lawsuit against the asset management firm, which he co-founded.
In a court filing, Gross accused Pimco of "willful and bad-faith obstruction" of his efforts to gather evidence to which he is entitled, including by scheduling depositions in London and Hong Kong, some 6,000 miles (9,656 km) apart, on consecutive days in early November.
"Discovery is not, and should not be, a game to be manipulated in this manner," Gross said in a filing with the California Superior Court in Santa Ana.
"Substantial sanctions" against Pimco and its lawyers are justified to cover his legal bills stemming from the alleged misconduct, and "to punish Pimco's gamesmanship," he added.
Pimco spokesman Michael Reid said: "Mr. Gross' version of events is inaccurate. This is a legal matter which our attorneys will deal with in court."
Both sides are expected to appear in court on Sept. 16 to discuss what evidence Gross is entitled to receive.
Gross, who now works for Denver-based Janus Capital Group Inc (NYSE: JNS), sued Pimco last October to recoup the bonus he said he was owed following his 2014 ouster from the Newport Beach, California-based firm.
Pimco, a unit of German insurer Allianz SE
A billionaire, Gross has pledged to donate any proceeds from the lawsuit to charity.
At Pimco, Gross had built the Pimco Total Return fund
The case is Gross v. Pacific Investment Management Co et al, California Superior Court, Orange County, No. 2015-00813636.
(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Additional reporting by Jennifer Ablan; Editing by Howard Goller)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump uses policy speech to attack media, promises to sue accusers
- Clinton far ahead in Electoral College race: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Japanese and British fighter planes meet for first time since World War Two
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesWilliam H. Gross, Pacific Investment Management Company, LLC (PIMCO), Janus Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!