BMW to offer new version of i3 electric car in 2017: Welt am Sonntag
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- S&P 500 ends up slightly with boost from financials; Netflix up late
- Nestle Said Examining Takeover of Mead Johnson (MJN) - Source
- La Quinta Holdings (LQ) Gains on Plan to Split in Two
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/18: (OCLR) (CSX) (NFLX) Higher; (AMDA) (RCII) (ZYNE) Lower (more...)
A BMW logo is seen on media day at the Paris auto show, in Paris, France, September 30, 2016. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - German luxury carmaker BMW plans to launch a new version of its i3 electric car next year with a longer range and revamped design, German weekly Welt am Sonntag reported, citing company sources.
BMW will rework the front and rear of the i3 and equip the car with a new battery to increase its range substantially beyond the current 300 km maximum, the paper said, adding that the increase would be below 50 percent.
BMW has been torn about whether to accelerate development of new electric cars given its expensive early investment has only resulted in lackluster sales, with 25,000 i3s delivered last year.
To help improve sales, BMW has already increased the battery range of its i3 city car by 50 percent this year.
BMW was not immediately available for comment on the newspaper report.
(Reporting by Christoph Steitz; editing by David Clarke)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Undocumented worker sues San Francisco for violating sanctuary law
- CIA unveils new rules for collecting information on Americans
- General Motors adapts $1 billion recipe for 'tough' Indian market: sources
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!