Avnet to sell IT business to Tech Data for $2.6 billion
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Avnet, whose IT business has competed with Tech Data for years, said it would get $2.4 billion in cash and 2.8 million Tech Data shares, worth a stake of about 7 percent in the company.
Tech Data's shares were up nearly 5 percent at $72.80 in premarket trading on Monday, while Avnet's shares were up 8.4 percent at $42.50.
Avnet said the deal will help it focus on design chain and supply chain services and invest in businesses such as embedded solutions, Internet of Things and critical digital platforms.
For Tech Data, the deal will help it expand its operations to 35 from 21 countries and give it proforma revenue of about $35 billion, 53 percent of which will come from Europe.
"This combination complements our value-added distribution capabilities in Europe and the Americas, while establishing Tech Data's presence in Asia-Pacific, which will be a new market for us," Tech Data Chief Executive Bob Dutkowsky said.
Avnet said it expects to realize a gain of $3.75 to $4.75 per share after the cash-and-stock deal closes.
Tech Data said expects to realize about $200 million in present value of tax benefits. It also expects generate about $100 million in annualized cost savings two years after the deal closes.
The transaction is expected to close in the first half of 2017.
Citi and Allen & Company LLC are Avnet's financial advisers. Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Raymond James and Associates are Tech Data's advisers.
(Reporting by Aishwarya Venugopal in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Keane Group (FRAC) IPO Opens Up 16%
- BofA/Merrill Lynch Upgrades CF Industries (CF) to Buy, Says "Consensus Estimates Now Beatable"
- BofA/Merrill Lynch Downgrades Allegheny Technologies (ATI) to Underperform
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesCiti, Raymond James, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!