Avnet to sell IT business to Tech Data for $2.6 billion
- Wall Street flat as telecom gains fail to counter oil drop
- Equinix (EQIX) Announces $3.6B Acquisition of Data Center Portfolio from Verzion (VZ)
- Deal Progress Said to Slow as Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Puts Actelion (ALIOY) Under Microscope - Source
- Trump Wants to Cancel New Air Force One Order with Boeing (BA)
- Roper Industries (ROP) to acquire Deltek in $2.8B Deal
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Avnet, whose IT business has competed with Tech Data for years, said it would get $2.4 billion in cash and 2.8 million Tech Data shares, worth a stake of about 7 percent in the company.
Tech Data's shares were up nearly 5 percent at $72.80 in premarket trading on Monday, while Avnet's shares were up 8.4 percent at $42.50.
Avnet said the deal will help it focus on design chain and supply chain services and invest in businesses such as embedded solutions, Internet of Things and critical digital platforms.
For Tech Data, the deal will help it expand its operations to 35 from 21 countries and give it proforma revenue of about $35 billion, 53 percent of which will come from Europe.
"This combination complements our value-added distribution capabilities in Europe and the Americas, while establishing Tech Data's presence in Asia-Pacific, which will be a new market for us," Tech Data Chief Executive Bob Dutkowsky said.
Avnet said it expects to realize a gain of $3.75 to $4.75 per share after the cash-and-stock deal closes.
Tech Data said expects to realize about $200 million in present value of tax benefits. It also expects generate about $100 million in annualized cost savings two years after the deal closes.
The transaction is expected to close in the first half of 2017.
Citi and Allen & Company LLC are Avnet's financial advisers. Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Raymond James and Associates are Tech Data's advisers.
(Reporting by Aishwarya Venugopal in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Starwood Property Trust (STWD) Prices 17.8M Share Stock Offering for Proceeds of ~$394.3M
- BofA/Merrill Lynch Reinstates NetApp (NTAP) at Neutral
- Matador Resources (MTDR) to Offer 5M Shares of Common Stock
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesCiti, Raymond James, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!