Atlantic City, New Jersey, police officer critically wounded, suspect slain
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - A suspect was shot dead and an Atlantic City, New Jersey, police officer critically wounded on Saturday when police exchanged gunfire with a group of men allegedly engaged in criminal activity, the county prosecutor's office said.
Authorities said all five persons of interest sought by law enforcement had been located and identified, and two New Jersey men, ages 19 and 28, had been arrested and were in police custody after having fled the scene following the shooting.
Both men were charged with attempted murder of the two police officers, robbery, weapons possession and other crimes.
According to the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office, the incident began when two officers left their patrol car to approach six men shortly after 2:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Three of the men were victims of an armed robbery committed by the other three men - the deceased man, and two others, the office said in a statement.
"One officer was shot and injured as he exited the vehicle. The second officer returned fire and struck at least one of the suspects," the office said.
The suspect who was hit by gunfire was found dead about a block and a half away, while the other five men ran off in different directions, according to the statement.
The wounded police officer underwent surgery and was listed in critical condition.
(Editing by Chris Michaud)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- China top court rules in favor of Michael Jordan in trademark case
- U.S. Republicans quibble over effective date of Obamacare repeal
- Exclusive: Edmond de Rothschild to close Hong Kong operations - sources
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!