Atlantic City, New Jersey, police officer critically wounded, suspect slain
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
(Reuters) - A suspect was shot dead and an Atlantic City, New Jersey, police officer critically wounded on Saturday when police exchanged gunfire with a group of men allegedly engaged in criminal activity, the county prosecutor's office said.
Authorities said all five persons of interest sought by law enforcement had been located and identified, and two New Jersey men, ages 19 and 28, had been arrested and were in police custody after having fled the scene following the shooting.
Both men were charged with attempted murder of the two police officers, robbery, weapons possession and other crimes.
According to the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office, the incident began when two officers left their patrol car to approach six men shortly after 2:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Three of the men were victims of an armed robbery committed by the other three men - the deceased man, and two others, the office said in a statement.
"One officer was shot and injured as he exited the vehicle. The second officer returned fire and struck at least one of the suspects," the office said.
The suspect who was hit by gunfire was found dead about a block and a half away, while the other five men ran off in different directions, according to the statement.
The wounded police officer underwent surgery and was listed in critical condition.
(Editing by Chris Michaud)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Iraqi army tries to take main Christian town near Mosul
- China regulator tells banks to boost property loans risk management
- Police cleared in shooting death of Minneapolis black man
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!