Archived letter shows Trump's grandfather asked to return to Germany
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
A letter written by Friedrich Trump, grandfather of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump and addressed to Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria is pictured at the Speyer archive in Speyer, Germany, November 22, 2016. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
BERLIN (Reuters) - German archivists have found a letter written by U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's grandfather, asking to be allowed to return to his German homeland after his wife failed to settle in to life in the United States.
The letter, signed by Friedrich Trump, who left Germany at the age of 16 in 1885, was unearthed at the state archives in the western German region of Rhineland-Palatinate.
After the turn of the century, Friedrich Trump returned from the United States to Germany, where he met and married his wife, Elisabeth, with whom he returned to New York.
"She lasted for around two years before making it known that she wanted to return to Germany," Franz Maier of the Rhineland-Palatinate state archives in Speyer told Reuters Television.
Friedrich had, however, failed to deregister properly before he left Germany and was not therefore allowed to be renaturalized in Bavaria, which was then its own kingdom.
An accompanying document in the archived dossier read: "the settlement in Bavaria cannot be permitted".
That fateful rejection set off the series of events that ended up with Donald Trump being elected U.S. president.
(Reporting by Reuters TV; Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Louise Ireland)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ladder Capital (LADR) to Explore Sale - Reuters
- South Africa's Zuma files court application to block influence peddling report
- Bergdahl seeks pardon before Trump takes office
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!