Archived letter shows Trump's grandfather asked to return to Germany
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
A letter written by Friedrich Trump, grandfather of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump and addressed to Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria is pictured at the Speyer archive in Speyer, Germany, November 22, 2016. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BERLIN (Reuters) - German archivists have found a letter written by U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's grandfather, asking to be allowed to return to his German homeland after his wife failed to settle in to life in the United States.
The letter, signed by Friedrich Trump, who left Germany at the age of 16 in 1885, was unearthed at the state archives in the western German region of Rhineland-Palatinate.
After the turn of the century, Friedrich Trump returned from the United States to Germany, where he met and married his wife, Elisabeth, with whom he returned to New York.
"She lasted for around two years before making it known that she wanted to return to Germany," Franz Maier of the Rhineland-Palatinate state archives in Speyer told Reuters Television.
Friedrich had, however, failed to deregister properly before he left Germany and was not therefore allowed to be renaturalized in Bavaria, which was then its own kingdom.
An accompanying document in the archived dossier read: "the settlement in Bavaria cannot be permitted".
That fateful rejection set off the series of events that ended up with Donald Trump being elected U.S. president.
(Reporting by Reuters TV; Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Louise Ireland)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Exclusive: Shell's exploration boss Powell to step down
- Police charge driver in Australia rampage with five counts of murder
- German police arrest man on suspicion of planning attack