America Movil agrees to buy mobile spectrum from Grupo MVS
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
The America Movil logo is seen on the wall of the reception area in the company's corporate offices in Mexico City August 12, 2015. REUTERS/Henry Romero
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Billionaire Carlos Slim's America Movil said on Monday that its wireless subsidiary had agreed to buy spectrum for mobile devices from Mexico's Grupo MVS, which would increase Mexico's dominant player's offer of high-speed data services.
America Movil said it would buy 60 MHz of spectrum in the 2.5 GHz band. It did not disclose the terms of the deal, which is subject to regulatory conditions. An MVS spokesperson said the company did not have a comment.
Jose Otero, director for Latin America at telecoms trade association 5G Americas, said the deal would pressure regulators to define plans to auction of 130 MHz of spectrum in the 2.5 GHz band that allows for faster download speeds.
Mexico's telecoms regulator in August postponed an auction of 2.5 GHz spectrum, saying wanted more time to decide how many blocks it would tender and under what conditions.
Earlier this month, Mexico declared a Chinese-backed group the winner of a tender to build and run what will be a multi-billion dollar wholesale mobile network that is designed to increase services offered in Latin America's No. 2 economy. [nL1N1DI1E3]
Otero said that the new wholesale operator, whose top shareholders are Morgan Stanley Infrastructure, part of Morgan Stanley, and a Chinese-Mexican government fund, could become a bidder in any spectrum auctions.
(Reporting by Mexico City Newsroom; Editing by Sandra Maler)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Keane Group (FRAC) IPO Opens Up 16%
- Gunman fires on Turkish police; suspect identified in earlier attack
- Russia says airstrikes hit IS targets in Syria's Deir ez-Zor province: RIA
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Carlos Slim
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!