Afghan forces retake strategic eastern district from Taliban
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
KABUL (Reuters) - Government forces recaptured a district in eastern Afghanistan that was overrun by the Taliban more than a week ago, officials said on Monday.
Jani Khel, a district in the mountainous province of Paktia, on the border with Pakistan, lies on a strategic road intersection, linking other districts in the province and its loss was considered a serious setback by security forces.
A spokesman for the provincial governor said that a clearance operation was still under way.
Taliban operations have intensified after a lull that followed the death of the group's former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour in May.
Security forces have been under heavy pressure from Taliban fighters from Helmand in the south, where U.S. advisors were deployed last month to bolster defences, to Kunduz, the northern city that fell briefly to the Islamist insurgents last year.
(Reporting by Samihullah Paiwand; editing by John Stonestreet)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump speaks to Taiwan's president: Financial Times
- Saudi Arabia appoints new labor minister, reshuffles religious and Shura councils
- Exclusive: U.S. standards council to investigate New Oriental after Reuters report
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!